Dissertations and Theses
These pages provide information on how to locate theses and disseratation, both those written by Ohio University students and written elsewhere. Three types of documents are included here:
- Doctoral dissertations
- Masters theses
- Honors Tutorial theses written by Ohio University students
There are two major search tools to be covered here–Proquest Digital Dissertations and the OhioLINK ETD Center–plus several other supplementary ones.
ProQuest Digital Dissertations
Formerly known as Dissertation Abstracts, this database covers well over 2 million doctoral dissertations and masters theses from around the world.
The complete database includes citations going back to the year 1637. The type of coverage and availability of full text, however, varies by date:
- 1637-1860: Online database has citations only; no abstracts
- 1861-1980: Online database has citations only; no abstracts
- Full text available (for a fee) from ProQuest
- 1938-1980: Ohio University has a set of microfilms (on the 1st floor) which include abstracts. Ask for it at the 1st floor desk.
- 1981 to the present: Online database includes abstracts
- 1988 to the present: includes Masters theses with abstracts
- 1997 to the present:
- Full text available (for a fee) for most documents
- 24-page free previews available for most documents
- Free acess to full text of ALL Ohio University theses and dissertations
Access to Proquest Digital Dissertations is limited to members of Ohio University. There are numerous other (less comprehensive) freely available sources of information on theses and dissertations: see below and other tabs in this Guide.
Search ProQuest Dissertations and Theses:
OhioLINK ETD Center
The OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center includes citations, abstracts and in most cases full text of theses and dissertations written at member institutions since 2000. The full text of theses and dissertations is in PDF format and is freely available to anyone.
The site also includes instructions for authors on how to create and submit their electronic thesis or dissertation.
Or you can browse ETDs by school and department.